When you have had a hard week and just need a little comforting, there is nothing better than some good old comfort food. However, comfort food is hardly ever good for your waist line. Here in the South, it is usually full of butter, grease and lard, fried to a crisp or contains so much fat you hate your comforted self after you have eaten it.
After last week I really wanted some down home comfort food that wouldn't derail my health plan. This recipe hit the spot! It is a lower fat and no carb take on Momma's Meat Loaf.
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (divided)
- 1 cup ketchup (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red onion (white can be used as well)
- and the secret ingredient.... 1/2 cup crushed Rudolph's Original Pork Rinds
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit;
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients until combined;
- Form into two loaves and place into two greased loaf pans;
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes;
- Mix 1/4 cup ketchup and 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl for form a glaze;
- Baste the tops of the loaves with the glaze;
- Bake for another 10 minutes;
- Let sit for 5 minutes outside the oven before cutting.